Historic Hotel in Durango, Colorado
About the Rochester Hotel
The Rochester Hotel is a small family-owned historic hotel in Durango, Colorado. Our mission is to provide warm, friendly, efficient service to make your stay in Durango as welcoming and comfortable as possible – enjoying a cup of tea in the afternoon, relaxing with a glass of wine in the Rochester “Secret Garden,” or stopping by for a chat about hiking trails, the weather, or local events.
About Durango, Colorado
Durango, Colorado, is a small town of 18,000, situated on the Animas River, surrounded by mountains to the north and desert to the south. Outdoor activities abound in this corner of the Southwest: a ride on the D&SNGRR to Silverton, whitewater rafting and kayaking the Animas River, a trip to Mesa Verde National Park, mountain biking in and around town, hiking the Weminuche Wilderness or La Plata Mountains, skiing and snowboarding at Purgatory/Durango Mountain Resort. If you need a day off from your outdoor excursions, try visiting local galleries, exploring science at the Powerhouse Science Center and MakerLab, or taking a drive on the San Juan Skyway. End your days with a short walk to one of Durango’s many exceptional restaurants.
The Rochester Hotel
Wanting to keep the historic features of the Rochester intact, original antiques and woodwork from the pre-renovation may still be found in the hallways and rooms. Each room in the Rochester has a Western movie theme, based on Westerns that were filmed in the area. Movie posters framed in marquee lights, film histories and photos line the hallways.
The Rochester Bar opened in January 2012. Our own Rochester wine, bottled for us in California, can be pre-ordered and waiting in your room upon arrival. You can choose between Terroir Napa Valley Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon. Sparkling wine is also available upon request.
In the summer of 2012, we began a very successful Summer Concert Series, featuring local recording artists and singer songwriters performing in the Rochester “Secret Garden.” These events are open to everyone, guests and locals alike.
The renovations of the Rochester marked a turning point for Second Avenue in Durango, formerly a block of used-car dealerships and repair shops. Now Second Avenue has been transformed by the arrival of galleries, cafes and shops, giving it an identity of its own.
While we stay true to the history of the Rochester Hotel, Durango, and the Wild West, we are constantly evolving and moving forward, pulling the past into the present.
- Reducing water usage by installing low flow toilets and using conservations cards – towels and linens changed between guests and upon request only.
- Comprehensive recycling program.
- Xeriscaping to reflect the environment we live in where water is precious and not to be wasted.
- Shower amenity dispensers and lotion dispensers to reduce small plastic bottle waste.
- Non-toxic, natural and locally produced cleaning products.
- Natural amenities including Aveda and Bee Kind.
- Serve organic, fair-trade coffee and tea.
- Serve locally produced eggs, bread, hot sauce and honey, along with other seasonal items.
- Serve local beers (SKA, Telluride Brewing, Steamworks Brewing), bourbon, rum, and whiskey in our bar.
- In 2014 the Rochester Hotel had an energy usage assessment performed by the Four Corners Office of Resource (4CORE) Efficiency. The report focuses on areas where the hotel can improve upon energy efficiency.
- Through 4CORE the Rochester Hotel has signed up for Solarize La Plata, a program that helps us coordinate the installation of solar panels.
We continually research and improve practices that pay respect and lessen our impact on the environment.
The Secret Garden
Immerse yourself in a lush, intimate setting at our Secret Garden, perfect for relaxing or hosting your unforgettable wedding, anniversary, or special event. Don’t miss our famed Summer Concert Series, where the best of Durango’s talented music scene is showcased.